Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Hello there!

Well hello everyone!

It's currently fall finals week here at HPU, so as you can imagine, I'm a little bit busy! I promise to make some better posts next week about my time at HPU so far and what I'm looking forward to for next semester, but for now I thought I would start by introducing myself :)

My name is Sara, and I'm just finishing up my third semester here at HPU in the MATESOL program. (What's MATESOL? Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages... try saying that three times fast!) I am originally an East Coast girl from Baltimore, MD, so I'm a pretty long way from home out here in the middle of the Pacific! (It's December and I wore shorts yesterday, which is something I don't think I'll ever get used to.) I got my B.A. from Dickinson College in Pennsylvania and studied Political Science and Spanish Literature. After that, I worked for AmeriCorps teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) for a year back in Baltimore before deciding that I wanted to go to grad school!

In addition to my classes here at HPU, I work as a Spanish and Writing tutor in the Center for Academic Success. That's a lot of fun because I get to meet HPU students from all sorts of programs! I'm also the co-Vice President/Treasurer of our TESOL student group, the Intercultural Teachers Organization (ITO). Needless to say, I'm pretty busy!

Outside of school-related things, I like reading pretty much anything, mastering new recipes in the kitchen, trying new kinds of tea (I love tea!), and exploring all that Oahu has to offer.

This winter break, I'll be working once a week as a tutor, starting on my portfolio, and relaxing after my busiest semester yet! I'm really excited to use some of my downtime to be a tourist again and do some fun Hawaii things! What are you all up to this winter?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment